Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Newfound Appreciation for Hockey


Let’s be honest for a second: I used to hate hockey.  Seriously, like, absolutely despise it. I’d actually told my friends that day I did a hockey column was the day I’d do 100 pushups with a midget on my back.  If I ever made an ESPN 30 for 30 entitled True Life: These Sports Suck Dick (a Spike Lee joint) the list from really bad to unwatchable would go:
            5. Lumberjacking
            4. Bass Fishing
            3. Bowling
            2. Hockey
            1. NASCAR

I didn’t hate the game itself because I never really watched it; I just hated how much time it took up in SportsCenter.  At least ESPN respected the fact that lumberjacking, fishing, bowling, and (most of the time) NASCAR were incapable of producing highlights, and thus, should not be talked about ever, but hockey was a different story.  I would turn on ESPN when I got home from practice or an SAT class, anxious to see highlights from the Knicks game that I missed, and on the side bar there was nothing but “Bruins vs. Flyers,” “Penguins vs. Rangers,” “Latest on Sidney Crosby’s Inflamed Vagina,” with Knicks highlights nowhere to be seen.

I thought when Matthew Barnaby got fired after almost beating his wife and getting a DUI, ESPN would drop their little “hockey project.”  However, this somehow made things even worse.  The hockey highlights kept coming, and Barry Melrose realized, “Hey, now that Barnaby is gone I’ve got this whole hockey highlight job to myself!  Why don’t I wear uglier suits, double the hair gel, and act uncomfortably creepy towards all of the female SC Top 10 Highlights interns? What is ESPN gonna do, eh? I’m the only option they’ve got!”

#staycreepin
Hockey just started to get bigger and bigger until finally… BOOM.  Playoff hockey.  Now that the Rangers are finally relevant again, the New York’s attitude towards the sport has changed accordingly and the spotlight has shifted.  I couldn’t even go to my friends’ houses without them popping in NHL 12 or showing of their new Boyle jersey.  

Finally, I caved.  My dad had been a Rangers fan all his life, and, as if by the work of the hockey gods (to whom I was atheist towards until recently), I found a signed Brian Leetch stick while looking for a sweatshirt in my closet… how it got there, I’ll never know.  Anyway, all of these Rangers omens (and the fact that the Islanders* weren’t good enough to make the playoffs) prompted me to become a Ranger fan. 


**Sidenote: One of the worst sports team names ever; up there with the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs, the Webster University Gorlocks, and the Butte Pirates… It’s a high school team… You just can’t make this shit up.**

I watched Game 3 of the Rangers’ Round One series against the Senators with a semi-open mind, like you’re listening to a story that your unfunny friend is telling you.  He starts off “Dude, the fuuuuniest thing just happened to me…” so you hope that it’s good because you don’t want to get bored, but at the same time it’s your unfunny friend… how funny could it actually be?  Well in this case “the fuuuuuuniest thing” that just happened to your unfunny friend turns out to be the funniest thing you’ve heard since Ethan Albright’s letter to John Madden.

This was my beginning of my love affair with hockey.  I started watching the Rangers game during the first period and couldn’t turn it off until I had finished three repeats of the postgame show.  It was just sooo entertaining.  I couldn’t relax at all.  Even the commercials were stressful.  The fast pace, the shots, the fights, the power plays, the losing track of where the puck is, the elation after a Ranger goal… it was insane!!!! The tension was the same as being on a very slow ascent to the top of a super tall roller coaster and every goal was like going down the coaster.  If your team scores it’s the greatest ride of your life, but if the other team scores it’s like you threw up on the way down just as the snap Coaster Cam took your picture. 

Looking back, I don’t know how I could ever have hated hockey as much as I did. I mean, it has the tactical importance of soccer, but instead of lightweight runners on a field, it’s freakishly big/athletic football players on ice.  Oh and did I mention that fighting is technically “legal” and doesn’t result in suspensions?  To top it all off, most of the postgame interviews with players sound like Soviet KGB interrogations. 

Reporter: “So, Alex, how do you feel about tonight’s win?”

Ovechkin: “Tonight’s victory was very pleasing to me and my team.  I am look forward to next game, as well as future goal of championship.  Now come Olaf, we have much Uranium to find.  Transmission terminated.”


I can’t believe how long I’ve been missing this… Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a midget to find.


Shoutout to Chizzy Bang for the tix to watch the Devils lose, B-Rod Skeeter, and Heiny Lund

#DJLR

No comments:

Post a Comment